The Proposed Development
The proposed development comprises of the erection of a new Lidl neighbourhood foodstore together with associated car parking, services and landscaping. The store will be a major new investment on Portland, positively contributing to both Portland and Weymouth’s economy and employment as well as enhancing the existing retail offer.
The new Lidl foodstore will be located to the north-west of Osprey Quay with a dedicated delivery bay to the south-east of the proposed store. The new store will extend to 1,799 sq. m (Gross Internal Area) with a sales area of 1,104 sq. m. Vehicular access to the site will be from the existing Hamm Beach Road entrance to the north of the site.
The store will be supported by 114 free parking spaces at surface level, including 8 disabled and 8 parent and child spaces. Secure cycle storage will also be provided. A trolley bay is located adjacent to the store entrance.
It is proposed that the foodstore will be open between the hours of:
- 8am to 10pm Monday to Saturday (including Bank Holidays), and
- 10am to 4pm or 11am to 5pm on Sundays.
Pedestrians will be able to access the site from one dedicated access point to the north of the store with a zebra crossing facilitating safe access to the store entrance.
All waste will be stored within the warehouse area and will be collected at the same time as deliveries, thereby minimising HGV movements within the car parking area.
Benefits of the Proposed Development
The new neighbourhood Lidl foodstore will provide the following benefits to Portland and the surrounding local area:
- A purpose built store which provides a clean and fresh shopping experience to meet the needs of customers;
- A dedicated in-store bakery;
- Improved shopping choice and provision of a new mainstream discount operator for Portland and the surrounding area;
- A contemporary building design that will complement the surrounding area along with the development of currently disused land;
- Employment opportunities including up to 30 new jobs, both part-time and full-time for local residents;
- More people visiting and spending money in the town;
- A landscaping scheme which will improve the visual amenity of the site including soft landscaping around the boundary of the site.